Vertigo, the dizziness, and nausea caused by something going wrong in the inner ear can make even the simplest tasks seem daunting. When nausea and dizziness strike, you feel weak and helpless, wishing only for a solution. Home remedies should not replace seeking medical advice from a doctor, but you may find that adding them to what the doctor recommends will help provide vertigo relief. The following seven remedies can be done from the comfort of your home and are quite simple.
1. Sleep. According to Vertigo Treatment, one of the best things for a person having a vertigo attack is to take a nap. Often, the vertigo is gone when they awaken.
2. Acupressure. Because napping isn’t always an option, Modern Reflexology says to apply pressure to the P6, also known as Pericardium 6. It’s located between the two tendons of the arm, three finger-widths below the wrist.
3. Hydrogen peroxide. Vertigo Treatment recommends using hydrogen peroxide to treat vertigo. Put a lot of hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and lie down. Place the cotton ball on your ear and let the peroxide drip into it until it is full. Wait five or 10 minutes until any popping noises subside. Drain the peroxide out, and vertigo should be gone.
4. Ginger. Not much research has been done on herbs for vertigo, but WebMD notes that ginger appears to give some relief. Remedy My Vertigo says you can take the ginger in capsule form, chew on it raw or make a tea out of it. To make the tea, slice ginger root and steep in boiling water for 10 minutes. You may want to sweeten it with honey.
5. Ginkgo. Another herb that WebMD says seems to show promise in fighting vertigo is ginkgo biloba. Vertigo Treatment recommends taking 60 mg twice or three times daily.
6. Apple cider vinegar and honey. A rather novel remedy recommended by Alternative Daily is apple cider vinegar and honey. This one hasn’t got any science behind it, but many people swear by it. Mix two parts honey with one part apple cider vinegar. Swallow 1 tablespoon of the mixture two or three times daily.
7. Almonds. Medical News Today shares that although scientists haven’t been able to figure out why almonds seem to have an effect on vertigo. You can eat a handful a day. Or diy Health Remedy recommends soaking almonds, khuskhus seeds and wheat in water overnight to make a paste. Every night, add the paste to warm milk and drink it.
Don’t let vertigo rob you of time with family and friends. Seek help from a doctor and try some of these remedies to take back control of your life.