Walking is one of the easiest, but still one of the most effective exercises. Walking can also help you improve health and tone the muscles while losing weight.
Depends on how often you are walking, you could lower one pound or more per week. Within five months you can lower over 20 pounds only with walking, without visiting a gym or undergoing specific diets.
However, you need to know some important principles of walking in order to lose weight in this way.
How to lose weight by walking
First of all, two factors determine the number of calories burnt during walking: the walking place and your body weight. For example, if you walk with an average speed of 4 miles per hour, you can burn 400 calories in 1 hour. You can walk additional 3 miles and burn 300 more calories that day.
If you make a daily plan and use a pedometer to help you while walking, you can obtain remarkable results.
Pedometers and weight loss
If you plan to lower your weight with walking, you should purchase a pedometer or wristband that can monitor your daily exercises. This will improve your chances to achieve your desired results.
In this way, you will know precisely how many more steps you need to do in order to lose weight.
If you know how many miles you are walking in one day, you will know how many more you will need in order to burn additional calories. You will know if you need to make longer steps or distance through the day in order to notice an improvement in the number on the scale.
In case you are having 8000 steps in your daily routine and still maintain the body weight, the number of steps that you should add to your daily routine is only a mathematical problem. Adding your mileage as per a number of calories you need to burn (more details explained in the text below).
How many steps to take to lose weight?
Most people should make 2000 steps in a mile to burn calories, usually, 100 are burnt in a mile. The pedometer will count your steps and you will determine how many calories are burnt and how much more are needed. This is explained below:
- 1 Mile = 2000 steps and 100 calories burned
- 1 Pound = 3500 calories
- Losing 1 Pound of weight a week = 500 calories a day
- 10 000 steps daily will help you 1 pound in a week
Yet, you can start slowly and then increase the number of steps. The following tips will help you reach the needed 2000:
- Do not use a taxi or a bus, but walk
- You can walk with your children to school
- Park the car far away from the place you are heading
- You can walk to your home or work, or get off the bus on the halfway
- Use the stair instead of the elevator
Due to the delicate elements recorded you should purchase a nice quality pedometer if you can afford it, which will record each step you had and each calorie you burned. The American Medical Association recommends using of pedometer for better weight control and more efficient weight loss.
The following tips will help you make the routine more enjoyable and exciting:
- You should listen to your favorite music, which will motivate you to keep walking
- You should change the routine and walk in different parks, areas, and neighborhoods
- Invite a friend to join you while walking once or twice a week, in order to avoid it becoming a boring daily task
- You should constantly change the track and enjoy new sites while walking. This will make walks an interesting journey in nature
- When it is cold outside, you can purchase a treadmill and watch a movie or your favorite TV series while walking
Everyone knows how to walk. Many people have less desire for walking because of the habits or routines they developed throughout the years.
If you plan to walk for exercise you should concentrate your eyes 100 feet forward, hold your chin up, squeeze your glutes and tighten your abdomen in the same direction with your spine. This way you will have maximum results from your walking.
How ofter should you walk?
If you seriously intend to begin with this daily walking routine, you should ask your doctor for an advice, in order to tell you if you are healthy enough to stand this activity.
First, you should walk three times a week for 15 to 20 minutes, and then slowly raise the routine. The optimal condition is to be able to walk 30 to 60 minutes every day of the week.
You will find that this is the easiest and the best way to lower your weight without any particular diet regime.